Korea & ASEAN Zombie Films & Drama Recommendation #2026KAOS

On March 12, 2026, while attending the ASEAN-Korea Influencers Night, I recalled a memorable question posed when we have a casual networking session at that time. The question is about why Indonesian cinemas seem to be filled with horror films.

That time, half-jokingly, I replied that based on my observation, Korea often releases horror films or produces horror-themed variety show episodes during the summer, while Indonesia only has one season all year round, which is summer. That simple answer drew laughter from the audience.

Yet, behind the joke, I found myself pondering the deeper reasons. Later, I happened to watch a podcast by Raditya Dika featuring Joko Anwar, one of Indonesia’s most favorite directors, known for his works across genres including horror (Satan’s Slaves, Impetigore, and more).

Their conversation made me reflect further on why horror resonates so strongly in our region, which is home to thousands of ethnic groups, each with its own distinctive mythology, folklore, and legends. 

Moreover, the deep-rooted belief among Indonesians in makhluk tak kasat mata (unseen beings) that has been passed down for generations makes horror films particularly appealing and successful in Indonesia.

Well, inspired by all that happened that day, and because I just watched some interesting dramovies, I decided to share recommendations of zombie-themed films and dramas from Korea and ASEAN (specifically Indonesia and Thailand). Also, since I haven’t watched every ASEAN zombie film yet, I’ll also include a few titles from ASEAN countries that are now on my watchlist.

1. The Elixir (Indonesia)

The Elixir is an Indonesian film with the local title Abadi Nan Jaya, released on Netflix on October 23, 2025. Directed by Kimo Stamboel, it stars Mikha Tambayong, Eva Celia, Donny Damara, and Marthino Lio. Previously, Kimo Stamboel and Mikha Tambayong had also collaborated on other horror projects, such as the drama Teluh Darah (Blood Curse) and film Sewu Dino.

In short, the film tells the story of a dysfunctional family running a renowned herbal medicine (jamu) business. The company’s owner attempts to innovate by creating a new potion, which unexpectedly triggers a zombie outbreak.

Before this, I had never watched an Indonesian zombie film, so The Elixir was my very first. I went in with no expectations, simply wanting to enjoy the story, and to my surprise, I was kind of impressed.

Zombies are usually portrayed as reanimated corpses in Hollywood films, but here I felt the movie was distinctly “Indonesian.” The outbreak spreads through jamu, a traditional herbal drink from Indonesia. The family conflict adds emotional turbulence, mixing drama (too much drama honestly) with survival horror. While the ending doesn’t provide a solution to the outbreak, showing instead that survival means running away, the narrative remains O.K for a first installment (they need season 2 fr) in my opinion.

What I particularly liked was how the director and writer depicted the zombies as creatures not only sensitive to sound (just like any other zombies), but also they have an additional unique trait! They are drawn to rain. When it rains, the zombies stop moving and gaze at the sky like they're frozen in place. Whether or not there is a deeper reason behind this characteristic, it adds a fascinating excitement. For that reason, I’m already looking forward to a second season.

2. Zomvivor (Thailand)


Zomvivor is a Thai zombie drama released on Netflix on October 31, 2025. Directed by Kla Nathawat, it features a large ensemble cast including Sukollawat Kanaros, Piyathida Mittiraroch, Janistar Phomphadungcheep, Sittichok Pueakpoolpol, Chawarin Perdpiriyawong, and many others.

The story begins when a zombie virus spreads across a city, with the outbreak originating from a university campus in Thailand. The surviving students struggle to stay alive, fight off the zombies, and desperately seek help from the authorities.

At first glance, the drama reminded me of many Korean zombie series and films I’ve watched, especially All of Us Are Dead, since both are set in schools. The difference is that Zomvivor takes place in a university, while AOUAD is set in a high school.

The conflicts woven into the drama also feel familiar, such as friendship, betrayal, heated debates, and clashing opinions. What I found amusing, though, is that despite featuring so many actors, a large number of them end up “falling” along the way. Spoiler alert, oops!

What makes Zomvivor entertaining is how it builds its own unique zombie concept. Like typical zombies, these creatures are sensitive to sound and can chase quickly. But the twist lies in their origin, which is the outbreak begins with a campus laboratory experiment using jellyfish fungi. This gives the zombies distinctive physical traits and unusual behaviors.

By “unusual behaviors,” I mean that the zombies retain a kind of muscle memory. They instinctively return to their workplaces and continue their routines as if they were still human. In this economy, even as zombies, you can’t skip work! Beyond that, the zombies also seem to have a certain hierarchy, which adds another layer of uniqueness.

Zomvivor consists of eight episodes and leaves plenty of room for further exploration. Rumor has it that a second season is in the works! Below is the trailer I found on YouTube, but if you don’t want spoilers from season one, better skip it!



3. Colony (Korea)

The last zombie apocalypse film I want to recommend is none other than Colony!


Released in 2026, this Korean movie was directed by Yeon Sang-ho, the mastermind behind hits like Train to Busan, Peninsula, and Hellbound. The film boasts an impressive lineup of top-tier Korean actors, including Jun Ji-hyun, Koo Kyo-hwan, Ji Chang-wook, Kim Shin-rok, Shin Hyun-been, and Go Soo.

To be honest, I’m often skeptical of films featuring too many big-name actors. Also, since the success of Train to Busan, Korea has produced numerous zombie-themed dramas and films, such as Kingdom, All of Us Are Dead, Happiness, and more. Because of this, I felt the Korean zombie hype had been overdone, and I didn’t set high expectations when I started watching Colony. But surprisingly, I ended up falling completely in love with it, and I understood why so many others did too.

Without giving away too many spoilers, let me share what made me enjoy this film so much. The storyline is clear and coherent, with a fascinating concept of how the zombie outbreak begins. What truly sets Colony apart is the unique characteristic of its zombies, they behave like an ant colony, operating with collective intelligence. This intriguing twist perfectly explains why the film is titled Colony.

Of course, with such a star-studded cast, the acting is nothing short of excellent. Still, one performance stood out for me!! It's Koo Kyo-hwan's acting! Ever since I saw him in Escape, I’ve admired how he can send chills down my spine when playing a supervillain. He doesn’t just portray evil, but he embodies a clever, calculating villain, which makes his characters genuinely terrifying (in the best possible way).

Official posters of The Elixir (left), Colony (middle), and Zomvivor (right).

So there you have it! Indonesian zombies love the rain, Thai zombies still go to work, and Korean zombies behave like an ant colony. These distinctive traits are exactly what make me recommend these three titles!

Beyond these, I’ve also heard of other promising zombie films from ASEAN countries, such as Ziam (Thailand) and Outside (Philippines). Since I haven’t watched them yet, I can’t share a review for now, but perhaps I’ll come back with one in the future.

See you in the next post!


#2026KAOS #KoreaASEANOnlineSupporters #ROKMissiontoASEAN #YouthfullTomorrow #주아세안대표부서포터즈 #한아세안온라인서포터즈 #주아세안대표부

리아